Who is Goddess Gayatri?
There are many interpretations of goddess Gayatri.
According to some, she is a form of goddess Saraswati, the wife of Lord Brahma. While, some consider her to be an incarnation of Annapoorna devi, the goddess of grains.
Goddess Gayatri is Veda Mata or the mother of the Vedas.
She is also believed to represent Brahman or the supreme effulgence.
I would like to refer to a shloka from the Hitopadesha in this regard.
विद्यां ददाति विनयं,
विनयाद् याति पात्रताम्।
धनात् धर्मं ततः सुखम्॥
Knowledge gives us humility. From humility you become capable.
From capability you acquire wealth.
And, from wealth, you perform pious actions. From pious action, opens the door to happiness.
Hence, the Gayatri mantra is the direct road to happiness, since it opens the doors of knowledge.
Origin of Gayatri Mantra
The Gayatri mantra is present in the third subdivision of the Riga Veda. It is the 10th shloka of the 62nd page.
The entire crux of the Vedas lies encapsulated in this small mantra.
It is one of the most potent mantras of Sanatana Dharma.
The mantra consists of 24 syllables.
ॐ भूर् भुवः स्वः तत् सवितुर्वरेण्यं
भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात्
I contemplate on the supreme effulgence who rests in the hearts of all.
That effulgence which directs my intelligence in the path of righteousness.
I meditate on the supreme creator
It is interesting to note that Sage Vishwamitra had formulated the mantra long ago in Treta yuga through the power of his penance.
Through this mantra, he graduated into a Brahmarishi from the Kshatriya race.
Hence, this mantra has the potency to change the entire varnashrama system.
Subtle Benefits of Chanting Gayatri mantra
The Gayatri Mantra worships goddess Gayatri, the mother of the Vedas.
Hence, by reciting the mantra you invoke the blessings of Goddess Gayatri who is the very personification of Brahman.
Following are the benefits of chanting the Gayatri mantra-
1) It fills the individual with enthusiasm and positivity
2) Concentration levels improve. The intellect sharpens and one stops getting bothered by petty things.
3) You develop goodness and stop the habit of fault-finding.
4)The attitude of service begins to develop.
5) You start getting premonitions of future events. As a result, intuition develops. Furthermore, the mantra gives you the ability to bless people.
7) Gayatri devi is the goddess of poetry, art, music, and all creative fields.
Hence, reciting the Gayatri mantra is beneficial for those who take arts as a subject.
8) Apart from the creative aspect, goddess Gayatri holds the Vedas which are highly scientific. Hence, even the ability to think rationally sharpens.
9) Since the mantra directly represents knowledge, it fills the heart with humility and ends all duplicity.
11) Gayatri mantra has an energizing effect on the chakras.
Hence, it burns the roadblock in the spiritual path. It is a great aid in spiritual pursuit and grants enlightenment.
12)The mantra removes all doubt and suspicion from the mind. It is like a laser that burns all toxic thoughts.
13) The Gayatri mantra pertains to the creative aspect.
It glorifies the supreme entity as the creator.
Hence, chanting this mantra improves creativity and clears the blocks that stop you from flowing with the rhythm.
Physical Benefits of Chanting Gayatri Mantra
1) Chanting this mantra removes toxins from the body.
As a result, your skin starts glowing.
You start looking younger and youthful.
2) The Gayatri mantra kills anxiety and depression.
It releases the hormone serotonin that keeps the mind in a positive state.
Hence, it is an antidepressant.
People suffering from depression or past regrets can greatly benefit and feel the difference.
3) People suffering from migraines and headaches get relief by the regular chanting of this mantra.
Furthermore, you shall gain clarity of thought and make decisions effectively.
4) Goddess Gayatri is a form of Annapoorna or the goddess of grains.
Hence, the reciter’s house shall never face scarcity of food. It shall also be lit by the light of knowledge.
5) It blesses you with a successful career and gives you the strength to pursue your dreams.
Hence, students should compulsorily recite this mantra.
6) Children suffering from dyslexia or learning disabilities greatly benefit from this mantra.
The mantra gives the right mindset for learning if chanted sincerely.
7) The mantra regulates the proper breathing pattern suitable for progressive actions.
It gives relief for respiratory diseases like asthma as it strengthens the lungs.
8) The powerful mantra blesses you with a confident personality- radiant like the sun.
Those who recite Gayatri mantra shall be brighter than the average crowd.
9) By reciting this mantra, 1 lakh 10 thousand diverse types of waves are produced in the body.
Hence, the mind keeps away from stressful thoughts. In addition, these waves help keep a pleasant mind.
They also kill the diseases in the body.
Gayatri mantra is a great immunity booster.
When to chant the Gayatri mantra?
Since this mantra instils positivity and confidence, it is best to chant this mantra during Brahma muhurta or the auspicious hours of dawn.
Chant the mantra between 5 am to 7 am.
This timing maintains a Satvik state of mind and you feel peaceful and happy for the entire day.
How to chant the Gayatri mantra?
Before chanting the mantra, remember the positive change you wish to bring in your life.
Then chant the mantra with great desire. You shall practically see that quality manifest in your life and feel extremely positive.
The Gayatri mantra however must be uttered correctly.
Following are the steps to chant the Gayatri mantra-
1) Wake up before sunrise and take a bath
2) Wear white clothes made of cotton.
3) Then sit on a mat facing the eastern direction.
4) You can use a Tulsi or Chandan mala and start chanting the holy mantra.
If you are reciting the mantra in the afternoon, then sit facing the western direction.
Keep your conduct clean along with your body.
Eat a purely Vegetarian diet during Gayatri mantra sadhana.
Thanks for reading!